Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Blog Update #3: Network Intelligence

The network intelligence that scares me the most is communication programs like Skype, that use the webcam and has the ability to send documents and information back and forth. I never have been comfortable with using a webcam, you could be having a private business meeting using Skype and think that it is secure, but what is stoping some random person from hacking into your camera and conversation secretly and listening/watching in. You could be sending important documents to a colleague, but it get intercepted in the middle without you even knowing. I feel like the program is not secure, and could be a huge privacy issue, people think that they are safe when they really are not.

I would not want the network to know about any of my personal relationships with anybody. The network doesn't need to know if I had a fight with my parents, or made a new friend. The network especially doesn't need to know about my financials, that is personal data that I would not want the network to know about.

This relates to me as I use Skype with my parents when they are in Africa. It is the cheapest way of communication, yet I always feel oddly as though I'm being watched. I have never liked these kind of programs. I also use Skype when communicating for school group projects, as we can send documents back and forth and communicate pretty easily, but there is always the chance that our paper could be swiped and/or copied. There is always a risk when using this kind of technology. This way I prefer email, as I feel it is a more secure network, even though it may not be.

No comments:

Post a Comment